09 Mar 2015

A question about : travel disruption advice

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. I am buying travel insurance for a trip to Majorca with my family. Travel disruption cover can be added at an extra cost. My question is: do I need this cover or IF there was an ash cloud problem or similar would my airline be responsible for getting us accommodation, food, flights home etc? Thanks for any help you can give

Best answers:

  • as you will be in the EU under EU261 then the airline does indeed have a duty of care whilst you wait, hotel, meals and a couple of phone calls
    Had you been travelling outside the EU and on a non-EU airline then there would be no duty of care for the return flight so the extra cover would have more value
  • Thank you for answering, I appreciate your help