09 Mar 2015

A question about : A level student entitlement

Hi, I'm 18 and looking at moving into a flat share with a friend i am a full time student although I do work 14.5 hours a week at tescos I'm just wondering if any what I would be entitled to so I can establish whether I could afford. Thanks

Best answers:

  • What course are you doing? The help available to students on (for example) a degree course is different to that available for A Levels.
    Some info available at https://www.gov.uk/browse/education/student-finance.
  • hello alidi
    Firstly as a full time student you will be exempt from council tax, however this may cause a problem if for instance you are sharing a house with another person they will be liable for 75% of the council tax.
    As a student you will not be able to claim housing benefit unless fall into one of the special categories. This link will explain most of the rules.
    You may be allowed to claim as a part time worker but if you do this then you will be liable for council tax.
    There are also very tight rules about the amount allowable for housing benefit called the local housing allowance. You should check with your local council what this is in your area.
    You can check benefits by looking at www.turn2us.org.uk