09 Mar 2015

A question about : Housing association refused my application to run a business from home??


i want to run my own Cake Business from home and have the space to do so but after asking the Housing association if i could to this, it was a flat no!
they said please read your tenancy agreement as it states no business's to be run from the property..and that was that!
i am so upset as i have always dreamed of having my own business and it is not like my little venture would interfere with anyone one at all, especially my neighbours.
how and where can i now run my little venture, i certainly can not afford a shop and my business would only be a tiny one,no staff just me....
is there anyway i can get round this issue with the housing association?

Best answers:

  • Unfortunately not, you would need to move into private rented accommodation with a landlord that permits you to run a business. Your business could interfere with others as you would need to receive supplies and make deliveries, have meetings with customers and inspectors on site, you could need to take on staff down the line, all this increases traffic. Also it has to be the same rules for everyone.
  • Also what would happen with regard to any amendments that need to be made to the property in particular the kitchen for you to legally be able to sell food products? Having had a friend who set up a cookery business from home I know how (quite rightly) onerous they can be.
  • If your business is inconspicuous its unlikely they will know. I expect the rule exists to prevent homes being turned into mini factories and to avoid properties intended as housing being misused.
  • It might be unlikely the HA will know but the neighbours will and the OP runs the risk of some spiteful neighbour with a grudge informing the HA, if they do go ahead and start the business.
  • Tbh, it seems fairly standard practice not to allow a business being run from home.
  • Also running a cooking business would entail changes to the buildings insurance, there has to be an increased fire risk.
  • This goes to show you can't make your cake and sell it.....
  • Thank you for all your reply's and advice, i have already taken on board all the factors, registering,health and safety,health inspectors etc and spoken to the relevant professionals and they all seem to say its a shame your housing dept wont agree as i certainly would not take on staff,it would just be me but hey like one reply said, there are spiteful, jealous neighbours etc so thats my dream over.
    I really can't afford to have a shop so back to the drawing board for me but once again thank you for all your advice.
    Trying to better yourself just doesn't seem to work
  • A friend had a similar issue, though with a private landlord rather than HA.
    She found a local pub that used to serve food and had scaled back to just special events and Sundays and basically hired their kitchen from them during the week. I am not close to how much she actually paid them but she always claimed it was little more than providing them a few gateaux/ cakes to sell as puddings on Sunday.
    Don't immediately roll over on your dream just because the first idea had a few issues
  • OP you may want to remind your landlord that thier professional organisation, the Chartered Institute of Houisng has issued guidance that generally supports people working from home.
    You can see the guidance, and perhaps send them a copy, at
  • Working online and not doing anything that you would not do anyway as a resident is one thing - I do this myself - but actually storing stock, accepting deliveries etc. is something else.
    There are no health & safety issues or inconvenience to neighbours if the freelance home work just consists of online research and producing documents, but there certainly may be if large scale cooking is involved.