25 Feb 2015

A question about : Do students pay prescription charges? And how should students save

Hello people- I hope you can help answer my query!

I have a continual aim to become more money savvy whilst a student so I can cope a bit easier when I come out of Higher education

My question is- do students over 18 in full time education have to pay for their prescriptions?

I was talking to my boyfriend the other day, and his dentist told him about a form you can fill in and dependant on your household income, you may not have to pay for your prescriptions.

Is this true?

Last question is I am working over summer and I would like to put half my wages into a savings account, but I am not sure which saving account would be best for a student.

Thanks lots!!!!

Best answers:

  • Get a cash ISA (but with instant access unless you know you definitly wont need the money). Try and reach your £3000 allowance.
    Read: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...saving-account
  • students don't get free prescriptions per se, but most will qualify on the grounds of low income. You need to get a HC1 form when you start at uni and fill that in. Your student advice centre should have some, as will your gp and dentist.
  • 16-19 year olds in full time education, are entitled to free prescriptions (see the back of the prescription for this info).
  • thanks to everyone who got back to me!
  • True when you are 19 or 20 and still in college education you still get screwed on prescription charges (even though you still qualify for child benefit and tax credits as a qualifying young person)!!
  • i just applied for my daughters who are at uni,they can only say no really
  • so once you have been saving in your ISA up until the beginning of the next tax year, what happens to your money? does it just sit there?
    then either u can keep with same company for your next year of saving, or transfer out (whilst making sure u arent stung for doing so, or prevented by certain companies)?
    is that right?
  • Unless your at welsh uni. Thank you very much welsh assembly.
  • You can also get free prescriptions if you're on a low income.
  • If you get a HC1 form (you can get them from doctors and post offices) be prepared for the amount of paperwork you'll need to send off. At the very least you'll need your letters from your last loan, proof of grants (I don't think you'll get the assistance if you don't qualify for the grant as this too is based on parents/partners income) and letters of bursarys you are entitled to. If you live with someone who works full time you will also need copies of 2 months worth of payslips from them.